Helpful Hints on Storing Documents in a Self Storage Unit
Using self storage to store precious documents.
You know it’s time to consider renting a self storage unit for your business when you start noticing the overwhelming overflow of paperwork, and old and new records in your office space.
Here are some helpful hints on how to store your documents efficiently so it’s easy to get a hold of them when you need them.
1. Only store documents that you need. It is highly advisable to go through your paperwork prior to packing them away in boxes. This is also a great way to declutter and get rid of those you no longer need (such as scratch paper or old documents that no longer serve their purpose) Only keep documents that you really need to such as legal papers, business registrations/permits, and so on.
2. Duplicates - be gone! It is not uncommon for businesses to have a couple of documents replicated twice or more. However, this only adds to the unnecessary bulk once they go into storage. Dispose of duplicates using a paper shredder or get them recycled. This method will definitely help you save a lot of space and money.
3. Resort to using archive boxes and labelling. Dividers and archive boxes are a great way to secure your important documents in an organized and space-saving way. Don’t forget to label each box with the type of documents they’re holding for easy access in the future. It is likewise recommended that you position the boxes that you frequently access near the entrance of your self storage unit.
With everything sorted and your documents securely locked up in a self storage unit of your choice, the question is “How long should your documents be stored for?” Here are a bunch of timeframe examples:
* Tax Records (up to 5 years)
* Financial Records (up to 7 years)
* Work-related Records (up to 7 years)
* Records related to your industry (differs from one industry to the other)
* Receipts for business expenses (depends on how long you want to keep them)
* Investment and property records (depends on you)
Needing a clean and secure self storage unit for your documents? Feel free to get in touch with our friendly storage managers at Arco’s Storage by calling 800-789-STOR for more information about our business storage solutions.